Friday, August 11, 2006

Science in Afterschool

Since this is my first post, let me explain what I am doing here. This blog exists to share information relevant to the field of science, techology, engineering, and mathematics (or STEM) education within after-school activities. This is an emerging field at the intersection of several established sectors of education - STEM, after-school, and youth development. The purpose of this field is to provide young people from all backgrounds access to high quality STEM learning experiences during out of school hours. Through these experiences, these youth will learn to be curious and inquisitive, develop skills in teamwork and communication, and hopefully discover an interest for a future career. They will also build the prior knowledge and experiences that are necessary for academic success.

As director of the Coalition for Science After School, I am working to connect science-rich institutions (museums, universities, and others) with after-school educators. By sharing understanding based on research and experience, these groups can provide better opportunities for youth. Through this blog, I hope to share some of the empirical and anecdotal evidence that crosses my desk on a daily basis. I hope my visitors will find an occasional story, stastistic, or opportunity that will help them, and hopefully you will be inspired to share some interesting facts of your own.

No comments: