Director, Center for Quality Science Learning Afterschool (Coordinator of Public Programs VI-VIII) Lawrence Hall of Science, University of California, Berkeley
Salary Range: $76,800-98,900 annually
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Lawrence Hall of Science (LHS) is establishing a new center, the Center for Quality Science in Learning Afterschool (QSLA), to build on the work of existing LHS centers, programs, and partners and to assume leadership of the Coalition for Science After School (CSAS). The founding director will have the opportunity to establish the agenda for the LHS work in afterschool—research, development of materials and programs for afterschool settings, professional development for the afterschool instructional workforce, and creation of practical approaches to use technology to support of science in afterschool settings. He or she will also be the Director of CSAS, a network of national organizations, experts, and committed individuals who are working to bring together the fields of science education, afterschool education, and youth development so that the mutual benefits, of the afterschool setting for achieving science education goals and of science education for achieving the youth development goals, are recognized, understood, and implemented. As a center leader at LHS, the Director will serve on the leadership team, play a senior role in promoting the excellence of the institution, and report to the LHS Director.
• Masters in science or mathematics, science or mathematics education, youth development, or the equivalent required; Ph. D. desirable.
• A minimum of ten years of experience in science and/or mathematics education, in formal, informal, and/or afterschool settings; working with policymakers, diverse learners and stakeholders.
• Experience designing, implementing, leading, and managing complex projects; including building teams and raising funds;
• Knowledge of science education and afterschool trends and policies required; knowledge of UC system policies and practices desirable.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills, computer skills, service-oriented with a strong customer service background required; bilingual and/or experienced with second language learning issues desirable.
• Self-starter with ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to set priorities, take initiative, exercise authority, and execute tasks while maintaining confidentiality, exercising judgment.
Approximate Starting Date: September 1, 2010
Total Duration of Appointment: 1 year, renewable upon successful performance and the availability of funds.
Application Deadline: May 27, 2010
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter to Jami Rousseaux, email@example.com, or by postal mail to her at Lawrence Hall of Science, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-5200
THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER